In 2015 we began a partnership with Emmanuel Training Center (ETC) in Kinshasa, the capital of DRC. ETC was created by Paul and Micheline, a wonderful Congolese couple with a heart to serve their community through job training and mentorship. The center currently focuses on three different skill sets- computers, language, and sewing.
In a region that suffers from crippling rates of unemployment, many young people are unskilled and uneducated. As a result, life can seem bleak. ETC seeks to address this challenge in the community by opening its doors to those looking for opportunity. While some students do pay to attend classes, there are many who want to learn a skill but are unable to pay their own way. This includes young people who have grown up in a local orphanage and are seeking job skills for a brighter future. Reeds of Hope provides scholarships and social services for these young people.
Recognizing that it is not sustainable for all students to receive scholarships, ETC is launching its first business endeavor- a cyber cafe. Housed in a busy neighborhood near a local university, it will provide computer and internet access, printing, copying, faxing, and many other services. The cafe will be managed by Paul and staffed by five of the young men and women who have been attending computer classes since last summer. We believe this business will help move these young people towards independence. It is the equivalent of a work-study program which will help these teens -- each of whom grew up in an orphanage -- become self-sufficient adults. Additionally, the income generated by the cyber cafe will help to cover overhead costs of the training center allowing more students to enter through their doors.
This weekend all the ETC training programs will be moving into a new compound. This will allow Paul to oversee all the different programs as well as the Cyber Cafe in one location! The space is perfect for the vision God has given to Paul and Micheline. There is only one thing missing: a generator. Kinshasa is notorious for its brown-outs due to unstable power. A generator will allow ETC to continue classes and business as usual no matter what.
We are hoping to raise $2,000 in the next week for a generator. We've teamed up with some great companies and friends to bring this raffle basket to you. Every item you see was donated which means all $10 from your ticket goes to purchasing the generator! (we're also down for taking straight up donations, you can give to this project here)
This basket will help make Valentine's day extra memorable for one lucky winner. We've got a bunch of hand crafted items from Africa, cookbooks and chef's tools to rock dinner at home, the mother lode from our generous friends at Trader Joe's, and some fantastic gift cards and products from companies we are excited to partner with!
And we're making it easy on you. It's a date box, ready to go!
total value over $725
All of the following items will be sent to the winner on Saturday, Feb 6th!
- $40 to Trader Joe's (if you don't have a TJ's local, we can switch it up!)
- The Yellow Table Cookbook: A Celebration of Everyday Gatherings
- The Congolese Keepsake Cookbook from Creations for Congo
- Grocery and Meal Planner notepad from 9th Letter Press
- Chef Apron by Hedley & Bennett made from raw Japanese denim
- Kitchen Timer & Wooden Spoon, essentials for every home cook
- Three pack of clean up towels, no judgement here!
- Olive Oil Sampler from Trader Joe's
- Assorted dried fruit and nuts from Trader Joe's
- Hand carved Giraffe serve ware from east Africa
- Sunbean Candles, made from 100% pure beeswax
- Trades of Hope Trivet, interlocking mango and sheesham form an 8" square
- Hand woven basket and trivet from east Africa
- $100 Gift Card to Arbonne, inner and outer beauty products
- $100 Gift Card to Everlane, luxury basics with radical transparency for him & her
- Personalized, hand stamped necklace
- Book of Vouchers, a gift that keeps giving!
- Tea Forté Steeping Cup with Infuser
- Tea Forté Chocolat Tea, 5 indulgent & decadent tea sampler
- $10 Amazon.com giftcard to rent a movie or purchase and album
- Chocolate stash from Trader Joe's
- Tea Forté, loose leaf African Solstice and Winter Chai teas
Raffle tickets cost $10 each and may be purchased via credit card or paypal. If you buy 5 tickets, you'll get one free and receive six entries in the raffle! The raffle will close on Friday, February 5th at 7 pm PST. A winner will be randomly selected and announced immediately following. Good luck and thank you for your support!
If using Paypal, please tell us the payment is for the raffle in the "Add Notes to the Seller" section at checkout or send an email to hollydoden at gmail dot com.
Subscribe to our blog for announcements and to learn more about our work in Congo!
Sign up for our ETC newsletter to receive updates that won't be shared on social media. We'll send you an email every other month or so!